Saturday, October 8, 2011

No Progress...

Our closing date for the new house is October 18th...which is just 10 days away.

Holy crap.

I have ten days to pack up an ENTIRE house, one that's been collecting junk for almost 20 years. Not even ten days, because I will be on duty for 3 of them. So that leaves me a week to clean out and pack up. That's three bedrooms, a living room (with overstuffed coat closet), an attic that I suspect has every toy and Christmas tree ever owned by my family, and kitchen that's busting at the seams, because I'm such a kitchen-gadget slut and I buy everything I see on infomercials that promises healthy, quick meals on the table in ONE MINUTE OR LESS!

I haven't started cleaning out yet, and I haven't even gotten any boxes. I'm on duty at the fire station until tomorrow morning, so hopefully I can hit it wide open when I get home and get some stuff cleaned out. Less junk equals less to move, right?

Thought about having a yard sale...rejected that idea. I have enough on my plate right now, and the thought of trying to host a sale is just too much for me to handle. Looks like the local charity thrift store is going to get a huge donation.

Here's my plan for the upcoming couple of days:
  1. Clean out closets and trash at least 1/3 of everything in there
  2. Clean out dressers - same thing, using the 1/3 rule.
  3. Pull down pictures and decor on the walls.
  4. Start wrapping and packing kitchen stuff that's not "everyday".
  5. Call utility companies and arrange to have accounts moved over.
  6. Get prices for moving van - I would so much rather make one big trip than lots of little ones!


On a totally different note, The Girl is going to her first Homecoming dance tonight. We went shopping a couple of weeks ago (yay for not procrastinating!) and got her a fantastic dress that looks so great on her. Her new favorite aunt is going to do her hair tonight, since I can't be there to help.

Which sucks. Big time.

That's one of the downsides of my job - missing out on the big stuff, because I have to be on duty. Unfortunately, the EMS Gods do not recognize weekends and holidays - people still get sick and hurt, and invariably will do something stupid.

Ah, the buzzer is going off. Time to run a call...be safe out there!

1 comment: